“Be the best you can be”
Rooted in the community: reaching out to the world, we aim:
- To provide a warm, caring, respectful and friendly and safe environment for every child and adult.
- To promote excellence by bringing learning alive; to engage, enthuse and inspire our learners, whilst teaching them the essential skills and strategies for the future.
- To nurture and develop talent and potential so that each member of the school community is valued and achieves success.
- To work in partnership with the families of our pupils, ensuring that integrity, equality, kindness, friendship and tolerance are at the heart of all we do.
- To support children and staff to have the courage and determination to be the best that they can be in learning and as citizens of the global community.
Vision in Practice
- Promote excellence by bringing learning alive; engage, enthuse and inspire our learners, whilst teaching them the essential skills and strategies for the future.
- Support children and staff to have the courage and determination to be the best that they can be in learning and as citizens of a global community.
This photos captures the heart of Wicklewood School’s mission statement (see above). We work tirelessly to provide the children with learning opportunities that capture their imaginations and bring the learning alive. This scene is of a Year 5 Class inside the Crystal Palace in Hyde Park during The Great Exhibition of 1851. The children are visiting some of the stands, displaying the very latest inventions and wonders of the 19th Century. This journey into the past is providing the children with the historical knowledge and awe and wonder effect that will enrich and give meaning to their writing of recount letters and non-chronological information leaflets. The working wall is the police notice board. Here, the staff of the Unsolved Crime and Open-Case Squad, display unearthed historical archived evidence from the depths of the vaults of New Scotland Yard – all of which is created by the children.
The development of the children’s core skills is central to Wicklewood’s aim of providing the children with what they need for the future so that they are able to thrive and wallow in the joy of life long learning. Our teaching and learning approach always has the development of key skills at the heart of everything we do. By developing these skills within contexts, and by giving the application of these skills a purpose, the children are experiencing a reflection of what for the majority, adult working life is like.
The recent whole school project of using Mantle of the Expert as a pedagogical approach to much of our teaching and learning, encapsulates Wicklewood’s continuous drive to explore innovative, engaging and exciting ways to learn. We are brave in embracing change and trying new things for the benefit of all stakeholders. Wicklewood School strives unashamedly to be the talked about place to be.